388 KDT - Leyland PD2
Bodywork (from trolleybus 395): Roe, 62 seats
Original owner: Doncaster Corporation, Fleet No. 188
Year built: Body 1955, Chassis 1963
Part of Museum Collection
In October 1961 Doncaster decided to abandon its trolleybus system and replace all the vehicles with motor buses. It was also decided to transfer the comparatively new and modern bodies from several of the trolleybuses to brand-new Daimler CVG6 and Leyland PD2 chassis. No. 188 was one such vehicle which received the body from trolleybus 395 in 1963. The body retains certain trolleybus features, notably the thickened pillar between the first and second side windows which originally carried cables down from the roof gear and the bus is about six inches taller than the normal double-deck bus of this period.
No.188 was donated to the Museum by the South Yorkshire Preservation Group and is part of our active fleet.