OWE 116 - AEC Regent III
Bodywork: Roe, 58 seats
Original owner: Sheffield JOC, Fleet No. 116
Year built: 1952
Part of Museum collection
New to the Sheffield Joint Omnibus Committee 'B' fleet, OWE116 was one of nine such vehicles purchased in 1952. They were the first Sheffield AEC double-deckers built to the maximum width of 8'0''.
Intended to have synchromesh gearboxes, all nine arrived with sliding mesh, or 'crash', gearboxes due to production difficulties with the synchromesh units. Within the first year they had all been modified to the intended transmission.
After a 12-year service life all these buses were sold to a dealer, North's of Sherburn. Only two were known to have survived in further service, 116 travelling south to Sevenoaks in Kent, providing school services in the area until 1972 when it was acquired for preservation and returned to South Yorkshire.
Restoration of No. 116 is ongoing in the Museum workshop.