KWJ 681 - Fordson Major Tractor
Original owner: Sheffield Transport
Year built: 1948
On long-term loan to Museum
The majority of large bus depots required a short wheelbase, easily manoeuvrable vehicle with plenty of pulling power in order to move 'dead' buses within the confined space of the garage or workshop. A lightly-modified agricultural tractor fitted the bill exactly. This tractor spent its working life in the Queens Road depot.
The modifications consisted of no 'power take-off' and a suitable towing bar fixture. The vehicle might be called out to run on the road in an emergency and for this purpose it was properly registered and kept taxed, hence the registration number. It was fitted with a canvas shield which must have afforded very little protection to the driver!
The tractor was loaned to the Museum soon after disposal and spent a considerable time off-site awaiting restoration. In late 2006 it was returned to the custody of the Museum.